Bansho-ji, located in Osu, central Nagoya, is a temple which has a history for over 470 years.
This temple was built in 1540 by Oda Nobuhide, head of the Oda clan back then.
During the Sengoku period, there existed 3 warlords known as the “three heroes” – Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu. They reigned over Japan during the 16th century.
Nobunaga, being the son of Nobuhide, and Ieyasu having spent his childhood in this temple Bansho-ji, the fact that these two of the “three heroes” were deeply involved with this temple attracts people who have interest in the Sengoku period’s history.
Not only do foreigners visit this area, but also Japanese do too because of the shopping arcades called the “Osu Shopping District.”
A mechanical doll of Nobunaga is performed 5 times a day, every 2 hours between 10 am and 6 pm, and it is very popular among tourists.
Within the precinct of the temple, there are Jyuichimen-kannon, Migawari-fudo, and Hakusetsu-Inari.